Although Northwest Web Press got its name at the start of 2013, the company's history goes way back more than a century!
Back in 1903, the first Bend Bulletin newspaper was printed on a sheet fed, hand-cranked press in a rat infested cabin in Drake Park. This high-tech machine arrived in the village before electric lights, telephone lines or named streets.
In the next few years, the operation moved to a newer building on Wall street and graduated to a Babcock cylinder press.
In 1915, The Bulletin purchased a Pony Miehle press. It weighed 9,000 pounds and had its own electric motor. The 26x34 inch bed made it capable of handling any sort of large job, such as booklets, two- and three-color work, large posters and other kinds of high-grade printing.
In the 1940's, a Goss Comet "flatbed" press was installed. The press was capable of printing 8-page sections per press run.
Robert W. Chandler purchases The Bulletin in 1953.
Chandler replaced the flatbed press in 1956 with a Goss rotary press. The 32-page Goss press accelerated improvements, including the use of color and photos.
A new 24-page Goss Community offset press was installed in 1966.
In 1980, a new Goss Urbanite speeds production to 20,000 newspapers per hour.
The year 2000 brings a new millenium and another new press. The KBA Comet is only the second of its kind to be used in North America, weighs 240 tons and is capable of printing 65,000 impressions per hour.